I hope my email finds you and your extended family well and healthy during these complex times. I wanted to send an initial update since being installed as the TKE Mu-Omega Alumni Association President in September. Thanks to all who paid their dues and voted in the recent election. We had an unprecedented number of Fraters participate and hope others will see the value of the association as we execute on our mission in the next year. I want to thank Frater Steve Payne (Scroll #96) for serving as our President during the 2019-2020 year. Frater Steve, as many of you know, is battling a health issue so I hope each of you join me in wishing him good health and strength for the journey ahead.
We’re off to a good start in 2020-2021 as we focus on a number of initiatives including:
- The recolonization of the Mu-Omega chapter on GMU. The work of Frater PJ Malafronte, Expansion Coordinator from TKE IHQ is paying dividends. It looks as if we will initiate 20-25 Fraters on November 8th in our efforts to establish a strong foundation for the future of the chapter. Although given COVID-19, candidate recruitment was challenging, we have a promising group of young men to build the chapter. Onsite participation is limited due to GMU protocols but all Fraters are invited and encouraged to attend the initiation ritual on November 8th at 2:00 PM eastern time. The initiation will be broadcast on Zoom as well as a select few fraters may attend.
- Related to the recolonization, the colony, along with chapters of TKE across the country are raising funds in support of St. Jude. These efforts support TKE Danny Thomas who is the founder of St. Jude Hospital and his dream that “no child should die in the dawn of life.” TKE alumni may also financially support this fundraising effort in two separate ways:
- ?The Mu Omega colony has a specific target/goal. You may donate to the Mu-Omega colony team goal directly at https://fundraising.stjude.org/site/TR/TKE/TKE?pg=entry&fr_id=129846. You’ll see a “Make a Gift” button on the main page. Your contribution will support our young men in attaining their goal. If you prefer:
- TKE Alumni may register at the site. If you click the register button, there is a secondary button that says “join a team.” The alumni team name is “Mu-Omega Alumni.” It will ask you to establish an account. In this way, you can then share the link to your unique fundraise page with your family and colleagues. Please direct any questions you may have on how to participate to Frater PJ Malfronte at email@example.com.
- ?We welcomed four first time Fraters to the board including Frater Thomas Block (Scroll #595), Frater Joe Dwyer (Scroll #649), Frater Martin Meehan (Scroll #345), and Frater Brad Warner (Scroll #380). The entire board anticipates continued emphasis on programs to support our three pillar mission of Fellowship, Scholarship and Business Networking.
- Keeping with Fellowship for the moment, we continue to plan for the upcoming 50th Anniversary Celebration of TKE’s at George Mason which as you know is planned for October 16th. Please RSVP before the end of the year to take advantage of the early bird pricing. This is a must attend event for all TEKEs and Friends of Mu-Omega.
- Another key Fellowship program is the work of our Decade Champions finding the emails for our “Lost Fraters.” You can help too, and it only takes a minute. Go to the TKE IHQ Lost Fraters page to see if you recognize a missing Frater.
- With the recolonization efforts underway, it’s important to reestablish the Scholarship efforts to financially support our undergraduate Fraters in their education. With your help and dues, The Gene Barnes Memorial Scholarship fund will be the source of this support for years to come. More information will be provided in the near future about our fund raising activities including a special story written by Frater Tom Cooney (Scroll #110) about the life and times of Frater Gene (Scroll #56). It will be a must read for all of us.
- Finally, Board Secretary Frater Marty Meehan is catalyzing our business Networking efforts and programs to ensure that Fraters benefit from the business breadth of this large and growing association.
?That’s is for now. From time to time, we’ll share additional information on the alumni board progress on the above as well as much more. If you’re not a member of either the Alumni Facebook Group or the Alumni LinkedIn Group, please consider joining these important communication venues. Lastly, please consider paying your dues for the upcoming calendar year. In addition to establishing your good standing, your funds benefit each of the programs described above and will enable additional supportive efforts as we build our association together. Thank you.
Yours in the Bond,
Don Early, Scroll #249